Promoting Model of Market Access for the Small and Marginal Farmers of Peri-Urban Areas of Gorakhpur City
The project aims to promote better market access for small and marginal farmers in the peri-urban areas of Gorakhpur to ensure a wider reach of their produce. It has also strengthened farmer's capacities through best agricultural practices.
Under this project, two Farmer Producer Organizations (FPOs) have been formed in Gorakhpur, namely Surbhi Beej Producer Company in Singhorwa Bazaar, Jungle Kauria and Rapti Rohin Sabzi Producer Company in Semra Devi Prasad, Khorabar Block. These FPOs are registered under the Company Act and are operating smoothly.
- The FPOs have built up the confidence of farmers and have mobilised several farmers towards collective farming approaches and seed production which has resulted in increased incomes
- Vegetable growing farmers of peri-urban areas have got separate identity as “Quality Organic Producer Farmers”
- The outreach of FPOs is continuously increasing as farmers have started realising its benefits. They have also started growing climate resilient additional crops
- As a result of seed production training and promotion of high yielding crop varieties, the input costs of farmers have reduced with increased net gains
- Wheat producer farmers are now linked to Participatory Rural Development Foundation and Uttar Pradesh Seed Certificate Department for seed processing
- Small and marginal farmers have got an alternative livelihood source