This project supports and involves local NGOs in strengthening the immunization system. GEAG is also working towards building their capacities to make strategic planning, implementation and proper timely documentation of polio eradication programme in Mau and Sitapur districts of Uttar Pradesh.
Following are the key activities :
- -To improve the vaccination coverage under supplemental immunization system, meetings were held to develop effective coordination mechanisms between front-line health functionaries such as AWW, ASHA, ANM and CMCs.
- -A Barber’s Initiative was undertaken to ensure greater involvement of men in the immunization process and motivation of their family members for timely immunization by bringing children to the immunization sessions.
- -To promote good sanitation practices and behavioural changes in the community, Village Health Sanitation & Nutrition Committee Meetings were held once in every quarter. This resulted in increased toilet construction and use in the project area.
- -Several other meetings including Influencer’s Meeting, Interpersonal Communication Sessions with caretakers and Group Meetings with Mothers, Fathers, Community, Adolescence etc. were held during the project work to improve the immunization system and ensure mother and child health.
- These interventions have resulted in increased regional immunization coverage and booth coverage. A significant decrease in the number of missed houses and missed children are observed.